In September 2014, Norfolk Museums Service became one of nine organisations to be awarded Museum Development funding by Arts Council England.
To support their work over between 2015 and 2018, Norfolk Museums Service will receive nearly £1.2 million over three years.
SHARE Museums East is the team delivering this programme. This small team of five is based at Norwich Castle Study Centre and works regionally. They have been supporting the region’s museums since January 2012, when Norfolk Museums Service was awarded museum development funding for 2012-15.
SHARE Museums East’s mission is to support excellence, resilience and cooperative working in museums in the East of England.
SHARE Museums East aims to:
- invest in and broker development opportunities improving museums’ services and sustainability
- encourage good practice in museums’ management in the East of England
- maximise opportunities for shared learning, networking and mutual support
- facilitate collaborative working, partnerships and communication across museums in the East of England
- invest in and nurture a skilled and flexible museums’ community in the East of England, of paid staff, freelancers and volunteers
- build pride and awareness of museums in the East of England
- get best value out of museums development funding for the East of England
- represent and champion the interests of the East of England museums’ sector nationally
SHARE Museums East does this through;
- pioneering museum development programmes
- extensive free training programme
- creating and sharing resources
- supporting specialist networks
Our programme is greatly enriched by resources, skills and venues provided for free by museums across the region.
Accredited museums (including full and provisional status) and those museums actively working towards Accreditation can benefit from direct support and grants.
The lists of Accredited Museums and Working Towards museums in our region are regularly updated on the ACE website.
Working with our county partners we also provide wider support and advice for museums approaching Working Towards Accreditation and other heritage groups and organisations through the county and regional groups, forums and networks.
The SHARE Museums East monthly e-bulletin and website resources are open to all.
We keep in touch with museums people in the East, share opportunities, ideas and requests and help people to connect with each other through this website, our e-bulletin and through Twitter: @SHAREmuseums and @SHARED_Ent
Click the link below to read an overview of our Activity Plan for 2015-18 as a PDF:East of England Museum Development Activity Plan