Date(s) - 04/09/2014
10:15 am - 4:00 pm
University of Cambridge Herbarium
Supports work towards Accreditation Standard 2.6
This exciting workshop from the Natural History Network will cover basic aspects of managing and caring for botanical collections. There will also be the opportunity to see some of Cambridge Herbarium’s recently conserved Darwin specimens.
- tour the Herbarium
- understand how herbaria are arranged
- know how to correctly store specimens
- understand the dangers of historical chemical treatments and the methods for ensuring safety at all times
- identify the main insect pests of herbaria
- learn how to identify insect- and chemical-contaminated collections and know which course of action to take
- view various methods of documentation
- mount plant specimens on to sheets
- identify conservation needs
- carry out basic repair of herbarium sheets
All materials will be provided but please make your own arrangements for lunch or bring a packed lunch with you.
Bookings are closed for this event.