Date(s) - 15/01/2015
10:30 am - 4:00 pm
Mildenhall and District Museum
Trainer: Pippa Smith, Handling the Past
With Stone Age to Iron Age becoming part of the KS2 curriculum from September 2014, this course is ideal for staff and volunteers involved in delivering family and school focused sessions at their museum.
The course will cover:
- Brief overview of the New History Curriculum
- Brief overview of Stone Age to Iron Age timeline and main themes
- Handling session – how to use objects for exploring the prehistoric past
- Developing activities/education packs for family groups and schools focused on prehistory
By the end of the course participants will…
- Be familiar with elements of the new school history curriculum
- Be familiar with the timeline and main themes of the Stone Age – Iron Age
- Have explored prehistoric object handling and how to use material effectively for learning
- Have begun to shape ideas for developing approaches to offering activities/information aligned to the new curriculum that can be used in their museums
Participants should come prepared with some knowledge of the range of prehistoric material they have in their collections, even if it is only a small amount, and an overview of what it comprises.
Participants are also invited to bring a small amount of prehistoric material (pottery/flint/metalwork, etc) which might need identifying or might spark ideas of a learning offer.
Refreshments will be provided but please make your own arrangements for lunch.
Bookings are closed for this event.